Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Beer Can #10 - June 11

Beer Can #9 was one of the most fun races I've been in yet! I wasn't on a Merit, but I was on a Spinnaker boat... Smokin' J, my favorite boat in the fleet. And I sailed with almost all of my favorite sailing buddies, so it was a real treat for me.

The weather was fantastic! It was pretty hot on land, but as soon as we got on the water, the breeze cooled us off. It was still warm enough for shirt-sleeves, though, which was great. The tide was a flood during the whole race, which worked in our favor in the second half. The wind (about 10-15 knots) out of the north kept us moving along nicely the whole time, but it was favorable for flying the kite on the downwind leg. All in all, it couldn't have been better conditions!

I was pleased that I got there early and had a chance to rig the spinnaker myself, and I'd been the last person to pack it as well, so the success or failure of the set was all up to me. The last time I'd raced on the J, I'd messed up the rigging and was anxious to redeem myself.

We raced course 4, out to marker S and back. There were 7 crew members on board, so we had plenty of hands for everything. Norbert was assigned foredeck, and I was at the mast. Sandi and Victor managed the jib. Kerry and Skipper Stan switched off between the helm and the main. Alex was tactician and all-round helper wherever help was needed.

It was a beat out to the mark, so Norbert and I were rail meat, since we didn't have much to do at that point, except stay out of the way and shift our weight as directed. As we rounded the mark, Norbert and I were ready, and we raised the chute, which filled immediately and was testiment to proper rigging and packing. Phew!

We flew the spinnaker all the way past the finish line, which was kind of hairy coming down the channel. We kept getting gusts that threatened a broach. But Stan's superb talent at the helm and Alex's superb talent trimming the spinnaker both kept us steady and even. Nice work!

Not so with Black Sheep, though! Black Sheep had a bit of trouble with their spinnaker on the way down the channel... kept getting the wind knocked out and collapsing.

Eventually, they got it under control and started bearing down on us. They would turn up, and we'd turn up to block them. They'd turn down, and we'd turn down to block them. At one point, they were right on our tail, and their spinnaker actually grazed our backstay. (Shhh... we're not calling foul!)

We crossed the finish line with Black Sheep about two feet behind us. What a close race! That was so much fun!!!

Even though I wasn't sailing on a Merit, I've got the stats (and dirt) for you on the 6 Merits that sailed in this race. Here's the scoop:
PlaceBoatSkipper
1M5Jeff
2M1Viola
3M6Roy
4M4Vadim
5M7Dave G
XM2Nico (disqualified)

Even though M2 crossed the finish line first, Skipper Jeff took the prize for first place for M5 at the apres sailing festivities. M2 with Skipper Nico was disqualified by all accounts. My sources tell me that M2 started the race 20-30 seconds early and had a crew member's torso outside the lifelines longer than momentarily—two reasons for disqualification. Oops...

I heard Nico telling Jeff over beers "The stakes will be really high next week" and challenged Jeff to a rematch. Jeff replied "I'll be marking you!"

Dave Pregeant told me that, starting with the first beer can race in July, he will bring his handy-dandy electronic starting horn and will sound 3 short blasts at 3 minutes from start time, 2 short blasts at 2 minutes, 1 short blast at 1 minute, and 1 long blast at the start time. That way, there will be no question about when to start.

Please check out my Picasa web album for lots more pictures of this race. See you out on the water!

No comments: